WHAT IS A QUADRIPLEGIC?
A Quadriplegic is one who is disabled in all four limbs, as a result of injury or illness (usually motor car accidents, violence, diving accidents, rugby injuries etc).
The degree of paralysis is determined by where the spinal chord is severed. For example, damage to the C4 cervical vertebra (closest to the neck) results in total paralysis from the neck down. Damage to the C6 vertebra results in paralysis from the neck down, but with partial movement of the arms, but no hand or finger co-ordination or control. Damage lower down to the spinal column results in Paraplegia. A Quadriplegic is of sound mind, trapped in a functionless body.
A Quadriplegic needs to be washed, fed, dressed, and toileted. They require assistance from trained carers to see to these basic needs.
Durbanville Quadriplegic Centre
The Andries Olivier Durbanville Quadriplegic Centre (also known as House Andries Olivier) is a Non-profit (NPO) and Public Benefits (PBO) registered organisation. We are also VAT registered and our B-BBEE is at a level 4 at the moment. The Durbanville Quadriplegic Centre is a non-profit organization that fosters the health, independence and social integration of quadriplegic (A person who is disabled in all four limbs) and paraplegic (A person who is disabled in two limbs) adults and our aim is to promote healthy, active and independent lifestyles for our residents.
The house is managed by the residents who are obliged to raise funds for the day to day running and maintenance of the centre. We also manage two guest rooms at the centre that are available for disabled persons with similar disabilities to us. All the residents have a severe physical disability and are wheelchair users. Despite this, we are determined to succeed in our endeavors
- We foster great vision for ourselves and strive to be equal contributors to society and the economy.
- To provide affordable accommodation for quadriplegics and paraplegics and assist with the accumulation of the means to better living standards.
- We strive to help quadriplegics and paraplegics reach their full potential through personal and skills development .
- Using awareness drives to promote greater public understanding of quadriplegics and paraplegics special needs.
- To contribute to the prevention of spinal cord injury by running awareness raising programs amongst schools, youth groups and other community- based groups.
To navigate the HAO Website you can make use of the tabs as well as their sub-menus or the following quick links:
A very warm welcome to the House Andries Olivier Durbanville Quadriplegic Centre website.
Durbanville Quad Centre
Please feel free to visit us anytime at 18 Hafele Road, Durbanville, 7550. If you would like more information about The Durbanville Quad Centre, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com